November 23, 2015

Interview with THORNE 11-04-2015

I interviewed the homie Josh Thorne and as usual, he was honest and outspoken in his answers. Be sure to check out Thorne's new masterpiece "Desolate" at his bandcamp page, it's a truly dark, mysterious and overall amazing record that defies categorization.

   


1 - What's up Thorne, how are you doing brother? It's been a year since the last interview you did for 7:10:7, how are things going in your life since then? 

I'm quite all right, thank you. It's hard to believe it's been that long, but not surprising in the least. This past year has been a very turbulent and chaotic journey, but in the same breath, it's also been a year of awakening and enlightenment. It is, after all, naive to expect to move forward without some form of turmoil and strife haha. 


2 - Your new album "Desolate" is very different from everything you've done in the past. You've most likely created a whole new genre here... There's lots of gothic vibes as well as shoegaze, ambient, metal and post-punk influences, and very emotional and poignant lyrics. Tell us a bit about the whole concept for the album and how you came up with this sound, specially coming from a hip-hop background? 

First of all, thank you for the kind words in regard to Desolate. It's important to remember that I didn't actually come from a Hip Hop background. I was in Metal and Hardcore bands long before I ever even thought of trying to do Hip Hop as a serious thing.
The concept for Desolate all stems from a sort of life changing experience that happened late last July. The events, which I recollect throughout every song but "Lost" all formed the foundation of not only what the EP would end up sounding like but the turn my life would end up taking as well. Musically, the whole thing came together quicker than anything I've ever written.
I had the entire EP written within a matter of days, because I had so much I needed to get out of my system. The lyrics, concepts, and ideas just sort of became this story I was able to tell in seven songs about the most emotionally destructive thing that's happened to me in my adult life.


3 - Some tracks like "Amor Exitium Est Mors Omnia Saecula" or "Lost" are so nihilistic and bleak they're downright scary. Then there's songs like "Porch Light" or the title track which are very melodic and emotional and there's a glimpse of light. What was your state of mind when you created these songs and would you say this is your most personal album yet?

It WAS the most personal thing I've ever recorded, but the next one has already trumped that in every regard. Desolate was a concept record.
From the beginning until the end, it tells the story of my personal, emotional, and spiritual undoing. The first song, "Whited Scion", almost acts as a mirror reflecting what has been and what is to come in the context of the story. "Porch Light" is one I look back on with fondness, because I just wanted to write a song that sounded like Tears For Fears. They're one of my favorite bands and when I heard Penacho's instrumental for that one, I knew I had my chance.
From the second song onward, you can hear each one become more despondent and melancholic until "Lost" kicks in. That song, in particular, is my affirmation of faith and I chose it to be the final song because it really sets the tone for what's to come on my next release. If you thought that song was frightening, let me assure you that it is just a mere glimpse into real fear when compared with some of the ones I've already composed for the follow-up.


4 - The vocals are also very diverse, there's clean vocals, some spoken word parts, and even black metal style harsh vocals. What pushed you to move away from rapping and expand your vocal style? Who are some of your favorite and most influential vocalists? 

Well, as I said before, I didn't start out as a rapper. I did Hip Hop for two years, which is interesting since the whole thing started out as a joke that no one seemed to get. So, I attempted to be serious with it and try to put my own spin on things but there's only so much one can do within those confines. I knew before I even started writing Desolate that I was going to be changing my style up and all but abandoning Rap altogether.
It's not because I hate Hip Hop now or any of that shit, so much as it is me realizing that I'm not a rapper. My heart just wasn't in it anymore and hadn't been for a long time, so I just decided to try doing what I wanted to do instead of what other people thought I should do.
It's the first time I've ever actually sang melodically on a record that wasn't done as a backing track or something of that nature. That was the biggest thing to get used to. Put me behind a microphone and I can scream or say words that rhyme all day with no difficulty. Put me behind a microphone to actually sing and I turn into a nervous wreck.
As far as vocal influences go, my favorite singer is still my friend Pat Carter. He's the reason I picked up a microphone in the first place when I was a teenager, and his influence is ever-present in anything I've done. The same goes for Jon Nodtveidt. He always gets so much credit (deservedly so) for his guitar playing, but I always LOVED his vocals in Dissection just as much. Some of his screams still send chills up and down my spine to this day. I draw influence from many different singers, but at the end of the day, I can only do what I'm capable of and hope it sounds ok haha.


5 - Do you consider yourself as a satanist? Please share your views and experiences with satanism and the occult. Are you more into the spiritual or the philosophical side of it?

It's interesting, because like most people in this part of the world, I was raised devoutly Christian. Growing up, I did everything in my power to convince myself that I was a Christian, that those values were mine, and that by doing this, I could be exactly what my family hoped I would be.
There was always this feeling though, this feeling deep inside of me that I wasn't meant to be that person. I had a real crisis of faith when I was in my early 20's where I chose not to believe in anything and then went back to trying to be a Christian, but I just felt emptiness everywhere I turned. In that emptiness, I heard a voice that offered me another option and I've been listening to and following that voice ever since.
I believe in and follow the adversarial, chaotic, opposing force that has been given many names throughout the ages. It is profoundly spiritual for me, but philosophical in terms of how I view the world and everything in it. That being said, it's something deeply personal for me as well and I choose not to share much about it, outside of what I say in my music.
Those who walk the same path will understand. Sometimes, silence is more powerful than all the words in the dictionary. 


6 - Music and drugs have gone hand in hand more often than not. I think that drugs can sometimes enhance both listening and creating music. What are your thoughts on this? Are you into drugs at all, and which ones?

I was really into painkillers, to the point where it turned into a nasty little habit. I've been clean from those since 2012. I also used to enjoy weed, but it stopped being enjoyable for me and I haven't smoked it in over a year now.
I realize I'm in a small minority in that last statement, but I totally understand why people love to smoke and I fully support legalizing it. Personally, it's just not something that interests me. I think drugs influencing great music relies more on a person's body chemistry and how they react to the drugs than the drugs themselves.
I know plenty of people who could smoke a bowl and write a monolithic epic of a song as a result of that, but I also know people who could smoke a bowl and just come up with pure nonsense on their guitar. It varies.


7 - Last time we talked about how the rap scene is becoming more and more trendy and lame. So far this year I haven't heard any good hip-hop besides the latest Juicy J mixtape... There's an overwhelming amount of fake pussy ass bullshit that passes as "hip hop" these days . Do you think there's any hope at all for real hip hop in this day and age? Do you give a fuck at all, or would you rather just listen to old Mobb Deep and Bone Thugs N Harmony albums?

At this point, I'd rather stick with the classics. I will say Freddie Gibbs is my favorite rapper since 2Pac passed away, Scarface's new album was a monster, and Gucci Mane will probably drop something sick when he gets out of the pen. FREE GUWOP!
Oh, and also, the last Earl Sweatshirt LP really REALLY impressed me. That was such a dark, unnerving listen from start to finish. I respect that dude because he legitimately does not seem to care what people think of him.


8 - What are your favorite albums in 2015 so far? 90% of music sucks ass nowadays but luckily there's still some good stuff out there. Personally I have to go with the last Gehenna, Prurient, and Hangman's Chair albums.

Gehenna's last one is devastating, and I'm looking forward to the forthcoming LP with great interest. The new Prurient is a good call too. Dominick is a true artist and in his field, a double album is almost unheard of. He did it though, and he created a masterpiece in the process.
My favorite album of the year is the new My Dying Bride. They've been one of my favorite bands since I was a teenager, and Feel The Misery is everything I've wanted from a My Dying Bride album since 2003.
Another record that really flew under the radar for a lot of people this year is the debut LP from my Arizonan brothers, Sovereign. It's called Nailing Shut The Sacrosanct Orifice and if you haven't heard it, go look it up right now. It's the best American Black Metal album to come along in many, many years and those dudes are the best people too. Real recognize real.


9 - I've read on your facebook page that you're already working on a new album. At this point it seems that you're not the kind of dude to do the same thing twice, what's the new stuff gonna sound like? Do you already have a specific concept for it?

The new stuff is probably the most damaging, hurtful music I've ever written. I don't think people are prepared for the next one. There's not really a concept, so much as an outpouring of so much that I've held in for years. It's called Laudate Reverentia and I'm hoping to have it out early next year at the latest. 


10 - To wrap things up I'll ask a personal question: What is 218 and what does that number mean to you?

218 is the current through which the adversarial light of darkness flows into our world. There is no more meaningful, holy, or powerful number to me.


11 - Thanks for the interview Josh, keep the good music coming bruh! Best of luck in your upcoming projects, take care brother!

 Thank YOU, Milton. Cheers, brother.




No comments:

Post a Comment